5 Essential Steps to Start your Content Marketing Strategy for SEO Campaigns
- March 10, 2020
- Posted by: Manju Rai
- Category: Digital Marketing News
Content marketing is essential is every SEO strategy and vice versa. Both cannot function without the other. Therefore, creating a content marketing strategy for your SEO campaign can help you monitor and see which one works best for your brand, and which one is not needed.
But before we get to know how to create a content marketing strategy, let’s find out what does it mean, and what is the importance of it.
WHAT IS CONTENT MARKETING?
Content marketing is a marketing approach that is designed to create content that is valuable and relevant. It focuses on targeting the desired audience.
IMPORTANCE OF CONTENT MARKETING STRATEGY
- It builds brand awareness: Building brand awareness allows businesses to get their products out in the market. If you want people to know about your brand, you have to find a way to make it noticeable.
- It’s a way to educate your audience or visitors about your business or product. Content marketing will enlighten or educate your customers about the things you want them to know.
- Generate leads for your business.
- It helps in organic research. Creating relevant content will help in making your website rank higher in Goggle’s SERP. The higher you rank, the more traffic you get. If you get more traffic, you can gain more leads for your business and turn them into paying customers.
- It helps in generating backlinks. If you can provide content that is informative and authoritative, people will share and use your content as they find value in them. Therefore, content marketing helps in creating an excellent link building strategy. The more people link to your content, the more Google considers your website to be authoritative, and hence it will rank higher in any search engine.
- Content marketing will help businesses in communicating and building a relationship with their audience. When people find value in your website’s content, they become satisfied, which means you have built a relationship with your readers.
- It helps with your digital marketing strategies. Whether you use social media, email marketing, or other digital marketing strategies, content marketing can promote your brand.
Now that it is clear what content marketing can bring to your business, it’s time to start your content strategy for your website. These steps will help you create an effective content for your website.
STEPS FOR CREATING A CONTENT MARKETING STRATEGY FOR YOUR SEO CAMPAIGN
DO SOME RESEARCH AND KNOW YOUR NICHE
Sometimes you can come up with ideas that will be effective and groundbreaking, but this doesn’t happen all the time. Most often, you have to carefully create the content that you need, and you can do this by doing some research.
- Doing some research will help you to come up with ideas you can have for your business. Researching has a lot of benefits when creating a strategy for your SEO.
- It will help businesses to come up with unique content. Almost everything is seen online, and creating unique content is difficult. But this doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to do it. You can take content from other websites and put them together by injecting your unique voice to write content that is not a duplicate.
- You can search for the content that you can write. The main goal of doing research is to determine or have an idea of what content you are going to create. You’ll know how you can construct your content and what kind of content is ranking in search engines.
- Researching will also help in determining how your competitors are creating successful content. You can determine the keywords and topics they write and how they structure it.
- You need to research to check if there are resources available for the content you are planning to create and media or visual resources to add to your content. Visual content is one of the most effective ways to increase your website’s traffic. A lot of people prefer to engage in content that is visual because they learn easily from it.
Researching has benefits for planning your SEO’s content strategy, and it doesn’t have to be difficult. There are tools available in the market that marketing experts or business owners can use to help them in researching for their next sold-out content.
DETERMINE WHO YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE IS
It’s difficult to determine what content create without knowing your target audience. The reason you come up with a content marketing strategy is to deliver the needs to a particular group of people. You create content to answer questions. But how can you determine what people need if you don’t know to whom you’ll be writing?
You can find out who your target audience is by doing some research about your niche, the products you sell, who your competitors are targeting, and who are your present customers.
If you figured out your audience, you can create content that would add value to their lives.
Keyword research is crucial for the content you are to create. It will help make your brand visible on search engines. You should use tools to search for keywords under your niche. But when you find out the best keyword for your niche, it doesn’t stop there. You need to use this keyword and break it down into categories that people might be using when conducting their research.
After breaking down your main keyword, search which keyword you can now use best for your brand.
OPTIMIZE YOUR CONTENT FOR YOUR USERS
You have already done some research about the content you want to create, what your competitors are doing, and the keyword you need to target. Now you need to optimize your content for your readers. After all, you create the content to drive more traffic to your website. Therefore, you have to make sure that it will be understandable and readable for your visitors.
You should follow Google’s SEO guidelines. Make sure that you use appropriate headings, add external and internal links, including meta titles and descriptions, and all of the on-page and off-page SEO essentials.
Also, make sure that your content is not only SEO-ready but to make it mobile phone-friendly. There are more mobile phone users than desktop users. That’s why it’s crucial to use layouts or designs that will adapt to any device.
Google has mentioned that having a mobile responsive website is one of the criteria for ranking a website. Together with responsiveness, it should also have a fast loading speed.
If you don’t have a website that can adapt to any device, no matter how great your content is, it will affect your bounce rate. People will exit your page, and this is not good for your Google ranking.
PROMOTE YOUR CONTENT
It takes time for content to reach Google’s page one or into its featured snippet. So the best you can do is promote your content. There are many ways you can promote your business’s content. You can opt for paid ads, or you can get organic traffic to your website.
There are many ways you can advertise your content. You can opt for Google ads to promote your content, which is done by a pay-per-click model. You can also use social media ads to promote your business’s content. You can also use websites that allow the promotion of content such as Taboola and Outbrain.
If you are not ready to spend money to promote your content, there are ways you can get traffic to your website freely. Social media is the main source of free advertisements or gaining organic traffic.
With billions of active monthly users, it’s best to utilize this platform for your audience. You need to learn which platform works best for your business and how you can use social media at its best.
There are rules when boosting your content in social media, such as using hashtags, determining the right time of the day to post content, and how to get more engagement.
So, here are the five essential steps you need to follow when you want to create content for your SEO strategy. But it doesn’t mean that this is the end when coming up with content. In fact, when it comes to content marketing, there is no end. It’s a continuous cycle. You need to research, create content, find your target audience, and promote. But wait, there’s also one last thing you need in this cycle of planning your content marketing, you need to monitor your content.
After promoting your content, you have to monitor the activity of it. Determine which piece of content is working and has it generate leads and sales. By monitoring your content, you’ll know what’s working from what’s not, and you don’t have to waste time on content that is not effective. Also, you can retarget your audience in other ways by email marketing or other forms of marketing strategy to finally turn them into paying customers.
Content marketing is crucial for attracting visitors to your site because it can turn them into potential customers when it is done in the right way. It’s difficult to predict whether what you have created will work or not, but your only chance is to give it a try.
John Ocampos is an Opera Singer by profession and a member of the Philippine Tenors. Ever since Digital Marketing has always been his forte. He is the Founder of SEO-Guru and the Managing Director of Tech Hacker. John is also the Strategic SEO and Influencer Marketing Manager of Softvire Australia – the leading software eCommerce company in Australia and Softvire New Zealand.